Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Orange Marmalade

So every so often the canning bug will strike and I get an itching to just can something... I also happen to have a young nephew that absolutely LOVES my orange marmalade and he ran out soooo here is the marmalade recipe that I use. You can find it in the Ball Book for Preserving as well.

10 Oranges (Medium to Large)
2 Lemons
A very big bag of sugar (I usually have a 5-10 lb bag in my house at all times for canning)
A Blender or Food Processor

A sharp paring knife
A large stock pot (stainless steel)
A waterbath canner
6-8 pint jars, clean and sterile (and of course clean sterile lids and rims)
Wild Orange Essential Oil
Pectin - This is optional because the seeds, rind and pith have natural pectin too. I generally still use some because I like my marmalade thick.



Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready to use. Do not boil. Wash lids in soapy warm water and set bands aside.

Quarter your oranges and peel them. Set the peels in one bowl and the meat of the fruit in another. (this is a good time to remove any seeds)

Once you have all of the fruit separated from the peels, you will need to puree the fruit in the Blender and then pour the liquid and pulp into your stock pot.

Slice the peels into thin strips. I like my strips about an inch long. You can make them thicker or thinner to your preference. Once done place those into the stock pot as well.

Thinly slice your whole lemons. I usually quarter them first and then slice them. Place those into the stock pot as well.

Mixture is just starting to really boil
Bring pot to a steady boil that can not be stirred down and let boil until the peels are soft. Do not add the sugar until they are the tenderness you want. I usually boil mine about 2 hours or so. 

Then measure the pulpy liquid and add 1 cup of sugar for every cup of liquid. Bring back to a high boil stirring frequently.

Marmalade has boiled down with the sugar added and is almost ready to go into jars.

Once a spoonful dropped onto a cool plate cools and gels to the point where it wrinkles when you touch it, it is ready. Now... this is where I choose to cook it a bit longer and add a bit more pectin because I like it thick and not like jelly and I hard boil it for another 1-2 min. 

Remove from heat. This is where I add 10-15 drops of Wild Orange Essential Oil to my mix. This is optional. I love the aroma and the extra orange flavor it adds but it is delish with or without it.

Ladle hot marmalade into jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar and apply rim to finger tightness.

Process jars in water canner for 10 min (adjusting for altitude). Remove jars and let cool for 24 hours. Check the lids after 24 hrs. Lids should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

This batch made 7 pints of Marmalade.


You can really see the beautiful slices of rind that are so much fun to bite into. 

Things I like to eat with Orange Marmalade:

On Warm Toast
On Chocolate Cake 
(My nephew: on Peanut Butter and Marmalade Sandwiches)
On Crackers
Baked into Scones
Baked on a Sunday Ham

there are lots of ways that orange marmalade can be used these are just some of my favorites.

If you have other ways you like to use Orange Marmalade, I would LOVE to hear about them! Drop them in the comments below!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Send Me A Message

Name

Email *

Message *