Monday, April 26, 2021

Cinnamon in the Garden


Nasturtiums I planted this week
with my little one
In case you haven't picked up on it, I love to garden. I love that my children are playing in dirt while getting fresh air, learning a skill, where their food comes from and eating natural healthy food. 

In my last post I talked about pest management with things like Neem Oil, DE and others things for organic critter control but there are other ways too. Essential oils, herbs and companion planting are some other ways to deter the unwanted pest. But there is one that is really easy and convenient to use, it's readily available at any grocery store and it is not super expensive... and that is Cinnamon folks! Wait whaaaat - use it in my garden you say? Yup and in more than one way so you really get your money's worth... you know the whole $2.99....


Check it....

1. It's a rooting agent. You don't have to spend money on expensive hormone rooting powders or gels. Use cinnamon (side note: Aloe is another good rooting agent). Put a spoonful on a paper towel. Dampen the ends of the stem, roll them into the paper towel and plant and viola!


2. It prevents Damping Off Disease. What's that you ask? It is a jerk of a disease. It is a fungus that attacks small seedlings just as they start to grow. Cinnamon kills the fungus before it has a chance.

It also works on other fungus as well. You can use it as a fungicide on older plants too. Mix 1-2 spoonful's of cinnamon into water and let sit (overnight works best in my opinion). You will need to strain it before you use it, but once you do you can just put it in a spray bottle. Use it on soil, leaves, stems, or where ever. 


3. Ant Removal or rather "deter-ant"... Girrr little buggers. Last year we battled over my Luffa... We are not friends. Cinnamon came in handy. Use it like a border so to speak. In the end I found that the essential oil version of Cinnamon worked better in this instance.

Fun fact - especially fun if you have boys as I do who love bugs: Did you know if you dig up and swap out two separate ant colonies - they fight/kill each other?  That my friends is guerilla warfare there. Basically a good shovelful of colony A gets dumped on ant colony B and sit back and watch the carnage unfold. I know I'm sick. To each his/her/their own.


4. Prevents Rust. No not the kind on a car. It's a fungal infection and it is soil borne. Just sprinkle it when you plant. (Calendula can be prone to it.)


5. It can help heal plants. When applied to a fresh plant wound it can help healing and prevent infections. I have small children with clumsy hands; this can be a handy item in the garden basket.


6. It deters small rodents. Rabbits, Mice, Squirrels, you get the idea. I am not saying it will completely get rid of them but they don't like it. This is where I generally use the Cinnamon Essential Oil mixed with water in a spray bottle. Cinnamon is strongly scented and small rodents don't like that so they tend to avoid it. Just remember if it rains you need to re-apply.


7. Repels Mosquitoes. I live in "The Mitten State", and when we don't have snow, we have mosquitos.... they are a bad word I can't say in front of my children. Which one? Pick your favorite and it works. I HATE them!

Same concept as with the rodents. I prefer the cinnamon essential oil in a spray bottle with water for this BUT you can just sprinkle it around the garden too.  


NOTE:
For the record I do not find this to be as effective as Citronella but it does help. 


As far as wearable bug sprays go, TerraShield is my hands down go-to personal bug repellant. Made with essential oils and safe for skin.


8. Cinnamon can be used indoors and in greenhouses. It can be used to kill spider mites, whiteflies, gnats, mildew and mold and other pests. Just sprinkle on the surface of the soil around plants.  Non toxic and organic!


Sooooo next time you are at the grocery store and you walk by the spice rack... Scoop up some cinnamon for your garden. Your plants will thank you and so will your wallet.




I am pretty sure that my two year old planted some
Airsoft BB's in with my peas. LOL










No comments:

Post a Comment

Send Me A Message

Name

Email *

Message *