Thursday, October 18, 2018

DIY Kids Craft - Corn Husk Dolls


I thought it would be fun to share a craft that many of the more seasoned generations may remember. Corn Husk Dolls. These can be made with a function. I use my essential oils from dรตTERRA on the cotton balls inside them to make a diffuser-doll. I have a niece that just LOVES Lavender Oil. I mean who doesn’t?! Its effects on soothing the nervous system have been well documented with plenty of research to support it… anyway I digress.  I make these dolls and I use a little bit of Lavender, Peppermint, Cinnamon, or On-Guard Oil (whatever suits my fancy at the time) to add a special touch to each doll. On-Guard is probably my all-time favorite. It always reminds me of fall and the holidays, plus it helps to support the immune system so it is my go to usually.

Why would I want a corn husk doll? 
Well at 37 I am not going to play dress up or have a tea party with it, (though those of you with small children might have someone in your house who would enjoy that) but when I decorate at fall this is a nice alternative to the old school bowl of synthetic filled potpourri (which also tends to be a migraine trigger for me).

One more use: Come the first spring or summer bonfire, this is what I use as my fire-starter and it tends to smell really good, much better than the lighter fluid my pyro-boys like to use. I just throw the whole doll in and light er up. 



CORN DOLL


To make this simple doll, you'll need some corn husks. Check your grocery store's produce section to get husks. If you're using dried-out husks, soak them for a couple of hours to soften them up (fresh husks need no special preparation). You'll also need some yarn or ribbon, and a few cotton balls.

Take a strip of the husk, and fold it in half. Place two or three cotton balls (this is when you place your oils on the cotton balls) in the middle, and then twist the husk, tying it with string to make a head (See Figure 1). Leave a bit of husk in the front and back, below the head, to create a torso.




Make a pair of arms for your doll by folding a couple of husks in half, and then tying it at the ends to make hands. Slip the arms between the husks that form the torso, and tie off at the waist. If you like your dolls plump, slide an extra cotton ball or two in there to give your doll a bit of shape [Figure 2]. This is also when I use the essential oils on the cotton balls.



Arrange a few more husks, upside down, around the doll's waist. Overlap them slightly, and then tie them in place with yarn -- it should look like she has her skirt up over her face. After you've tied the waist, carefully fold the husks down, so now her skirt comes downwards, towards where her feet would be (Figure 3). Trim the hem of the skirt so it's even, and let your doll completely dry.



Once your doll has dried, you can leave her plain or give her a face and some hair (use soft yarn), as in Figure 4. Some people go all out decorating their doll -- you can add clothing, an apron, bead-work, whatever your imagination can create.

Kids usually require some help with these but have a great time making them and decorating them. They are an inexpensive craft that tends to be great on a rainy (or snowy depending on where you are) day when you are stuck inside. Let them get creative with decorating materials you might be surprised and find yourself enjoying this craft too.




Looking for a fun Halloween activity? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Send Me A Message

Name

Email *

Message *