Thursday, October 4, 2018

Boiled Dinner – A Family Recipe



Ok so fall has come to Michigan and with it some cool weather. Cool weather instantly means comfort food to me and this is definitely one. In certain areas in Michigan this coming weekend is known as Pulaski Weekend and this recipe falls right in line with that so I thought I would share.

This is not what I would call a healthy recipe but it is soooo good and during cold weather, it is usually a big hit. Also it can feed a lot of people (think Monday Night Football) My mother-in-law taught it to me. Apparently my husband was raised on it as a child so for him this always brings back memories. (Here's to you love.)

Note: Traditionally this recipe is done with corned beef, but for whatever reason my husband's family usually does it with smoked sausage and it is SO YUMMY. You can do it either way. 

Ingredients: (Many of these ingredients you can grow yourself)

  • Red Skin Potatoes (if small leave whole, if large cut in half)
  • Carrots Chopped (2-3 large)
  • Celery Chopped (2-3 Stalks)
  • 1 Large Onion Diced
  • 1 Head of cabbage Chopped (pieces should not be larger than 2in)
  • Smoked Sausage (3lbs) – Cut to preferred size (I like smaller slices, but my husband likes 3 inch pieces)
  • 2 LARGE Cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup
  • Water
  • Pepper & Salt to taste (optional)


Instructions:

Put Potatoes, Carrots, Celery and Onion into a LARGE Stock Pot and just cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once the Potatoes are pretty much done, add the smoked sausage and cabbage. You will have to kinda do this in stages. Put about ½ the cabbage in, just cover with water and let it wilt a bit (about 5 min). Add both cans of the cream of mushroom soup. Stir. Now add the rest of the cabbage. Add just enough water to cover the cabbage. Add salt and pepper to your preference (I don’t add any). Cover pot and let it come to a boil stirring occasionally. When the cabbage is cooked, it’s ready to be served. Enjoy!


 Let me know if you tried this recipe and what you thought!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Send Me A Message

Name

Email *

Message *