Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Korean Beef & Sending a Meal to Someone

When I had my babies one of the things that helped the most was meals prepared by other people. You know the kind that don't require you to return dishes to people (and remember who gets what dishes) are easy to get ready and serve. The fewer the dishes to wash the better.


There are actually many times a prepared meal can be helpful and in my experience these are not the times people want to entertain visitors; no matter how much you want to sit and chat. Be respectful of their needs and know it is not the time to entertain you; I don't care how cute the baby is.  In these instances ding-dong-drop-off-&-ditch is usually best.

Also note, try to be respectful of their cultural, religious, medical, or dietary restrictions if you can. 

Times when a prepared meal can be helpful:
  • after the birth of a baby 
  • after an adoption/foster placement of a child (I see you! Well done!)
  • after a surgery
  • during an illness
  • after the loss of a loved one
  • moving (moving is hard work and stressful)
  • Major life events of change
  • Just because you want to share the love

So that said, here is a great meal to make for yourself, your family, a friend or a loved one. My sister made this particular recipe for me and it was a huge hit in my house. So much so that when I had my second baby and she asked "What can I do to help?" I instantly replied "Make me more Korean Beef!" (she did!) After that I had to get the recipe and she did share it with me. I was thrilled with how simple it was to make. The nearest grocery store & my pantry had everything I needed.


KOREAN BEEF

Ingredients

  • 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey (either tastes great)
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups hot cooked white or brown rice
  • sliced green onions and sesame seeds for garnish

Instructions

  1. In a small bowl whisk brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, red pepper flakes and pepper. Set aside.
  2. In a large skillet add 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Add the ground beef and cook the ground beef and garlic breaking it into crumbles over medium heat until no longer pink.
  3. Pour sauce over the ground beef and let simmer for another minute or two.
  4. Serve over hot rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.

Options
I like to add any combination of the following vegetables for texture. You can add them to the meat while in the skillet and cook them to tender crisp before adding the sauce.

* sugar snap peas
* snow peas 
* broccoli florets

This dish freezes really well too. So if you are inclined to make a meal for someone after a baby/surgery/funeral this is a great option. Just let them know it will need to thaw prior to warming. You can also purchase ready made rice in pouches that just need to be microwaved which can be nice if you are preparing this for someone else.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Send Me A Message

Name

Email *

Message *